Whiplash Relief from Your Chiropractor in Greenville, SC
Individuals who experience whiplash are usually taken completely by surprise by the incident that caused it. While many people associate this disorder with auto accident injuries, our AlignLife chiropractor notes that it might occur after any sudden force that results in your head whipping back and forth. Patients who visit our Greenville chiropractic practice can benefit from natural, non-invasive therapies to achieve relief.
Overview of This Disorder
When some type of force causes the head to violently jerk forward, then backward, whiplash can occur. The force associated with this sudden motion can rupture soft tissues, dislodge vertebrae in the spine, and/or result in herniated discs in the cervical spine.
Sometimes patients do not initially realize they have experienced an injury because pain occurs only days after the event. Many, however, indicate that they feel pain immediately.
These are the most common symptoms:
- A combination of neck pain and tightness plus a reduced range of motion, possibly accompanied by muscles that are knotted or hard
- Pain linked to rocking the head backward and forward or from one side to the other
- Headaches that start at the base of the skull and move toward the forehead
- Tissue that is tender to the touch
- Pain or stiffness that occurs when trying to look over a shoulder
Our doctor explains that a synonym for this disorder is neck strain. However, the injury is different from that associated with neck sprains, caused by torn ligaments.
Greenville Chiropractic Treatment Options
In some cases, emergency treatment might be necessary for whiplash. According to our Greenville chiropractic staff, one danger is the possibility of a concussion, which can drastically impair your judgment and mental state. Headaches that worsen or refuse to vanish, physical weakness, or trouble talking signal the need for emergency services. Additional symptoms include confusion, being unconscious, feeling particularly sleepy, or experiencing dizziness or nausea.
Treatment from our chiropractor utilizes natural therapies rather than surgery or medication.
- Manipulation, also called adjustment, to move a joint into the proper position
- Corrective exercises for relief of neck instability and disc derangement
- Muscle relaxation, muscle stimulation, or a combination of them to stretch affected muscles
- Ergonomic and other lifestyle advice to reduce strain on the body while accomplishing normal daily activities
Schedule a Consultation with Our Greenville Chiropractor
To avoid the risk of ignoring an injury that might get worse, get an evaluation by our Greenville chiropractor, Dr. Kevin Lewis. Our AlignLife practice provides comprehensive chiropractic care and wellness services in an atmosphere you’ll find professional, inviting, and friendly. Be sure to call us today at 864-631-1420 to schedule an appointment and discover how natural healthcare can improve your life.